September 4, 2008

Broke and Fulfilled

Yes that's right. I'm broke. Not in the destitute, nearly homeless and starving kind of way but rather in the no parties and extracurricular activities sort of way. Outside of the bare necessities, food, bills, taxes (yuck) I'm grounded by my own undoing until OCTOBER. YIKES! And this is not a complaint or a plea for charity but just an observation about the life of a freelancer and my own state of being because while I have absolutely no disposable income to speak of, I can honestly say that I can't remember a time when I was more happy. What's that about? In July when my accounts were knee deep in the black I was utterly miserable and now I'm experiencing an absolute creative boon as they creep closer into the red!


Dr. Sketchy's
is gaining unprecedented momentum. I have managed to gather a team of vibrant, colorful and remarkably creative people who are dedicated to all things artistic and I couldn't be more ecstatic to dive into the latest session.
Mika Mondays has gotten such wonderful responses that I am filled with renewed energy everyday when I go to the park to practice and now wish everyday was MONDAY! (How many people with straight jobs can say that!)
Then there is the charity work. Ever since Inspiration Jason introduced me to my cookie factory friends I can't stop the machine and now I'm involved in a Murder Mystery Play for a charity benefit for The Tyler Foundation which is dedicated to children's cancer research.


So while I'm not displeased with my current situation, this is just another ebb within the flow of a freelancing lifestyle, I'm left feeling a little apprehensive about my earning potential. I wonder if I am able to sustain such creative energy when the money train finally does pull in. Struggle seems to be the secret ingredient to creative success. I have found there is grace in struggling the mind really does open up when challenges abound and the experience so far it has been exhilarating. Money seems to be the antithesis of struggle. Isn't the old adage "The rich have it easy." And don't we all secretly want to know the feeling? My social life can weather this financial storm but I imagine it will get old eventually and then what?!

Only time will tell I suppose. I'll let you know how creative I feel in October!

No comments: