September 16, 2008

Sayoonara Chief Auntie Km

My Auntie Kim just got pinned today!
No not laid.
PINNED!

As in promoted! To CHIEF!
(and I got to do the honors)
ALL HAIL CHIEF PETTY OFFICER AUNTIE KIM!
My Aunt and I grew up like sisters. We're only one year apart and so I say Auntie rather cheekily but I couldn't be more proud of her!
This day is monumental for oh sooo many reasons!

My Grandpa, may he rest in peace, was a Navy Seal and made it as far as E6 (Enlisted 6 = Petty Officer) and his daughter just surpassed him after vowing to do so just month's before he passed. She was promoted after just 11 years of service while it takes some Naval guys their entire careers to make Chief! We always knew she had the right stuff.
The moment was bitter sweet for me as this was also the day I had to say good-bye to her. She's somewhere over the Pacific in route to her next duty station so Auntie Kim if you paid the extra 10 bucks for internet access on the plane and you're reading this, I just wanted to say thank you for coming to Japan and supporting me while I worked to make my dreams come true. It was an honor to be with you while you realized yours.

You made it Auntie!
Grandpa is smiling down on you honey!
Congratulations!
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Special thanks to the McGinnis family pictured here. You were the perfect surrogate family. Destiny, Lydia, Jade I will NEVER forget you!

No comments: