March 24, 2007

I DID IT


After months of threatening to get back on stage and do stand-up, I finally came through. My debut was back in September 2006. I did it as more of a dare and was genuinely surprised by my initial positive response. Of course one successful set does not a genuine comedienne make. Fear has been my constant bedfellow since. However 1000 excuses later I did finally find my way back to the Tokyo Comedy Store on a fool's errand to do it all over again. I was NOT an instant hit. I did NOT knock 'em dead BUT I didn't totally suck, according to my friend and fellow comic Dillon, his genuine yet caustic attempt at encouragement. Thanks buddy.
I have performed in numerous plays and been in various stages of undress in front of hundreds of people but stand-up comedy is easily the most terrifying thing I've ever done. I'm not experienced enough to say that the whole process is even remotely exhilarating but I imagine this experience is not unlike learning to smoke. Sure you choke and gag the first few times but eventually you become hooked until it eventually kills you like John Belushi or John Candy.
Or perhaps they were just unlucky bastards named John.
In any event I'll be doing it all over again at The Maple Leaf tomorrow night because nothing makes you feel more alive than genuine terror and good sex. I'm hoping the former will somehow influence the latter.

2 comments:

TokyoMade(東京メイド) said...

Laughed with you, at you and all the way to the bank (they are the only laugh idioms I know!) you astound me constantly!

laurent ziegler said...

Gosh, you are amazing! I wish I had seen you on stage! I would have given you the biggest applause and thrown red roses....! If you do it again I will be there ;-) Much love and kisses from Vienna! Laurent